Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thursday Double-Play: Mike Zeck Monster-pieces

Before earning acclaim with his art on Master of Kung Fu, which led to his becoming a top Marvel super-star of the 1980s (Secret Wars, Punisher), Mighty Mike Zeck drew tons o' mystery/horror strips for Charlton comics. The best of them, naturally, were written by Nightmarish Nick Cuti, so Ol' Groove dug up a couple'a those terrifying Zeck/Cuti team-ups to treat ya with today. First up, from Scary Tales #8 (August 1976), here's "A Grizzly End"! (Wonder if Mike got paid twice for that splash/cover art...?)


And to top things off, dig Mike and Nick's contribution to Scary Tales #9 (October 1976), "Hades University".

4 comments:

  1. Awsome! I love the bold inks on the early Zeck stuff. Have you or anybody posted Monster Hunters #9?(another Zeck drawn) The one where Col. Whiteshroud hunts the werewolf and we, the readers, actually get to solve the identity of the monster? I read the hell out of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This begs a good question--Whatever happened to Mike Zeck. He was a good fan artist who became a very good pro, seemed omnipresent for a time and now...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this being the Internet (duh!) that was easy enough to answer although he hasn't finished his site nor updated since january--http://www.mikezeck.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, I believe I have that issue of Monster Hunters. I'll see what I can do about posting it before the month is over.

    Booksteve, I try to keep links for Groovy Age pros in my Groovy Links and Groovy Blogs lists. If you (or any other Groove-ophile) knows of any Groovy Age greats missing from either link-list, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!