Friday, August 15, 2014

Making a Splash: Happy Herb's Hulk, Part Three

We're back with more of Happy Herb Trimpe's Incredible Hulk run, Groove-ophiles! Herb's run on the Incredible Hulk was nothing short of phenomenal, especially when you consider how musical the artists chairs were for a ton of other Marvel mags of the Groovy Age! Today we're planting our peepers on splashes from Incredible Hulk issues 146-151 (Herb just had to take time off to get married? Sheesh, wotta slacker! Er--I mean, September 1971-February 1972) and 154-166 (May 1972-May 1973)! During this time, as you'll note, Herb's pencils were ably inked by John Severin and Sal Trapani; very different inking styles, but both as Hulk-ish as can be! Dig 'em, baby!































3 comments:

  1. I always loved the corner illo by Trimpe...my favorite era of Hulk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! My parents gave me Hulk #155 (splash page: "Destination Nightmare") when I was little-it was maybe the first comic I ever had! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!